What to Write in a Birthday Card: Birthdays are always a happy occasion – not just your own, but also when your family, friends, or colleagues celebrate their cradle. One seemingly minor thing regularly creates uncertainty and stress: You want to write a birthday card, but you just don’t know what to say.
You look at the blank paper and get no further than Happy Birthday. This does not only apply to acquaintances or colleagues – even good friends often lack words when you want to write a birthday card. It doesn’t have to be that complicated to write a nice birthday card that the recipient will be happy about. Here you will find numerous templates, examples, texts, and tips as inspiration when you write a birthday card.
From a New Year’s Card to a Birthday Card
The challenge of writing a birthday card is not new: the greeting card for a personal honorary day was a popular document as early as the 18th and 19th centuries. Its story begins in the early 14th century – in the form of the New Year’s card. The beginning of the year was a particularly popular time to give each other presents, which is proven by the first traditional greeting card – a New Year’s card from 1415.
Congratulations – Only for the Upper Class
One difference to today stands out in connection with the first birthday cards: In the 18th and 19th centuries, only the upper classes of society were able to enjoy written birthday wishes. The reason for this was the high production costs of the cards.
In addition, these were only sent if the recipient was unable to convey the congratulations personally. The processes for producing cards were also a lot more complex, as they were still a long way from mass production.
Copper Engraving and Woodcut – the Most Common Printing Methods
One of the most common methods was so-called copper engraving. The motif was scratched into a copper plate and printed on paper with the lines and a roller press’s help. From a good original, around 500 to 600 prints were made.
The disadvantage: The quality of the prints decreased every time, as the lines lost more and more depth. Another common method was the so-called woodcut. Cutting out the motif from a wooden board and leaving the areas to be printed standing makes this process think of a stamp. As one of the cheapest methods, woodcut was also often used for birthday cards.
Card Bought Quickly – Words Written Slowly
Today people of all walks of life can enjoy written birthday wishes. The production of the cards has also become a lot easier. One difficulty, however, has remained: the annual creation of the map without repeating the choice of words. But don’t worry: The following sections provide tips and text examples to help.
A Form of Address Just in Case
The right salutation must not be missing on any card. There are practically no limits to your choice, and there are no fixed rules. Nevertheless, it is important to be clear about your own relationship with the birthday child. If the recipient is a family member, the family relationship can be included in the salutation in addition to the first name. The card text for the aunt can start with “Dear Aunt Anna,” for example. In parent’s and grandparents‘ cases, the first name is often completely dispensed with, and only the family relationship is mentioned, for example, “Dear Papa.” In the case of good friends, the first name or a nickname is suitable for the salutation. In the case of work colleagues or distant acquaintances, phrases such as “Dear Anniversary” are suitable.
Close relatives and friends:
- Dear birthday child
- Dear mum
- My dearest brother
- My dear / My dear [name of birthday child]
- Dear [name of birthday child]
Work Colleagues and Distant Acquaintances:
- To the jubilee
- Dear jubilee
- Dear Mr. [last name birthday child]
- Dear Ms. [last name birthday child]
No More Repeated Congratulations!
The salutation is often followed by a short section in which the recipient is congratulated. So that these congratulations don’t turn out the same every year, we have put together various components for you to mix – starting with alternatives to the word “birthday“.
To your / your …
- New year of life
- Cradle festivals
- Special day
- Jubilee day
- Happy day
- personal day
… I wish you/you…
- All the very best
- all the best
- that your dreams and wishes come true
- many great moments
- a happy and healthy new year of life
- numerous beautiful, unforgettable hours with your loved ones
- that everything will come true, what you wish for when blowing out the birthday candles
- good luck on the way in life
- nice encounters with people who do you good
- much joy in life
- good luck and success for the future
- Time for everything that is important to you
What to Write on an Office Birthday Card?
When it is a friend’s birthday, it goes without saying that you get a nice card, add a brief congratulation to it and make the other one such a little friend. If, on the other hand, the birthday of a colleague or even the boss in the office is approaching, many are no longer so sure: Is it appropriate to write a birthday card? Is it perhaps even compulsory and expected? Or should you do without it in your job?
There are no clear rules or prescribed behavior – also no obligation to have to write a birthday card at work.
Nevertheless, in many workplaces, it is a part of congratulating yourself on your birthday simply because of good manners. This usually also includes writing a birthday card. If you are unsure of your job, you should orient yourself to the habits in the office or ask your other colleagues.
Sometimes it takes someone to introduce such a gesture. Just make the suggestion to write a birthday card for a colleague’s upcoming birthday. In any case, it is a nice gesture and it can even contribute to a better working atmosphere.
3 Tips for Birthday Cards on the Job
1. Alone or together?
At most workplaces, a birthday card is given by all colleagues and usually also the boss. This is much easier, especially in larger teams than giving away many individual cards. If the colleague is also a friend, you can also write a birthday card just for yourself – but it is better to hand it over outside of working hours.
2. With or Without a Gift?
You can also make a small gift with a birthday card. As a rule, all of the colleagues who take part put a small amount together and can get a nice present. A voucher for a nice restaurant is a good option.
3. Factual or Emotional?
At work, you should be a little more reserved when writing a birthday card. That is not to say that you should write coldly or disinterestedly, but it should not be overly emotional either.
Should every colleague then receive a birthday card?
Although everyone is a team at work, their relationship can vary greatly depending on the colleague. You get on very well with one of the office neighbors. With the other, you only work together. If you write birthday cards on the job, the question inevitably arises: will everyone get one – regardless of how good the connection is?
The common practice is to write a birthday card to people that you like and are close to. In contrast, the same approach should be used for colleagues. Mind you, if you write a birthday card as a team. Once this practice has become established, no colleague should be excluded – otherwise, they inevitably feel excluded.
It looks different if you just write a birthday card on your own and want to make your favorite colleague happy. The tip already mentioned above applies here, namely that you can hand over your personal birthday card outside of the workplace.
Writing a Birthday Card: Templates, Sayings, and Examples
It’s not everyone’s favorite to write a beautiful birthday card. Sometimes the creativity just doesn’t want to bubble, and the thoughts only revolve around a happy birthday; all the best and congratulations. This is, of course, not wrong, and since the gesture counts, the birthday child is happy anyway, but if you write a birthday card, it should be really good.
In order for this to work, ideas should first be gathered. What is the first thing that comes to mind? What do you think of the recipient of the card? What do you want? This usually gives the first picture and the birthday card takes shape. The next step is to find the right words and write them down. We have some tips for this task:
Perhaps someone else has already put exactly what you would like to express. Quotes are a nice way to go when writing a birthday card. Look for suitable formulations and incorporate them into your text.
Whoever reads a birthday card should not have the feeling that it could also be intended for everyone else. Therefore, the card should not only be personalized by the name—the more individual the content, the better the impression the birthday card makes.
The limited space on a birthday card does not allow for a novel. You don’t need to fill the entire area with text to write a good birthday card. On the other hand, it should be more than just congratulations and all the best.
Poems are a classic on birthday cards, and you can’t go too far wrong with a few rhymes. You can try out your own rhyming art or use well-known and ready-made poems.
If you still cannot think of suitable words for the birthday card, we have put together many examples, formulations, and free templates for birthday cards for you.
What to Write in a Birthday Card: Examples for Every Occasion
To help you find the right words when you write a birthday card, we have numerous texts and exemplary formulations to inspire you:
- “May the happiest days of last year be the worst of the year ahead.”
- “Flowers, cakes, and gifts because I think of you for my birthday.”
- “Love, joy, and happiness, I wish you a piece of everything!”
- “A poem for my birthday: You’re older, I’m not yet.”
- “Dear Max, another year has passed. We all wish you all the best in our hearts. Stay as you are. Happy Birthday!”
- “Happy Birthday! I hope you will receive rich gifts, have a wonderful day, and stay so happy and healthy in the coming year!”
- “I wish you for your cradle celebration, the best of the great and the best of the good!”
- “After this great year, the next one will definitely be even better. Congratulations!”
- “Having a birthday and getting older doesn’t necessarily belong together. You are as old as you feel. “
- “I am grateful for everything that we have already been able to experience together, and I am even more looking forward to what is coming in the next few years!”
- “Congratulations, get rich gifts, and stay healthy and happy in the coming year!”
- “A special day for a special person – that requires special attention: From the bottom of my heart, all the best for your birthday, so that you may succeed in everything you long for.”
- “Your cradle festival is celebrating again. That’s a great reason to be happy, forget your worries and concerns, let yourself be happy and healthy.”
- “A year is up, and the time seems to be running out – Happy Birthday, I’m glad to know you!”
- “Last year we experienced a lot of beautiful things together – which will be even more in the next year. Happy Birthday and all the luck in the world! “
- “I know exactly how old you have become – but I can be silent! Have a good time on your birthday. “
- “We can continue to pretend these just laugh lines. All the best and good health for your birthday! “
- “In all the years that we have known each other, you have always been a reliable friend to me. I thank you from the bottom of my heart and toast to your well-being – happy birthday! “
- “Health and contentment, in addition to everything else that pleases you, a long life on top of that, everything should be yours.”
- “Just because it’s your birthday doesn’t mean you have to get older. Congratulations and all the best for your happy day. “
- “I wish you so much fun and joy in the new year of your life that you can always draw on it when things don’t go so smoothly in life.”
- “Happy Birthday! It’s not a full decade, but we want to celebrate it as if it were a milestone birthday! “
- “Have a wonderful day with great people who will always be by your side!”
- “For your birthday, I don’t just wish you health, love, and happiness. I wish you that even if it gets difficult, you persevere and that you can do what you tackle. “
- “If you feel half as good as you look, you are the happiest person in the world.”
- “We are very happy for you, and we wish you all the best!”
- “Have a particularly good time on your special day today. That all your wishes will be fulfilled. “
- “Age is just a number; what matters is how you feel.”
- “Anyone who is no longer satisfied with their age should simply no longer pay attention to it. This birthday card should not remember your age but the joy in your life. “
- “Today is your special day, on which I tell you from the bottom of my heart: Stay as you are, always happy and nice, then your happiness in life will be complete.”
- “When I needed someone, you were there – you are probably the best friend anyone could ask for. Therefore, today I wish you all the best for every day of the year – and a happy birthday! “
Quotes for the Birthday Card to Write
Do you want to write a birthday card and use quotes for it? Then we have put together suitable inspirations and examples for you in the following overview:
- “Sorrow be lame! Worry be blind! Long live the birthday child.
- “The secret of happiness is to count the high points of life instead of birthdays.”
- “Anyone who retains the ability to recognize beautiful things will never get old.”
- “Being happy is like a wonderful dessert. May life give you more of it than you can ever eat.”
- “May you live as long as you want and as long as you live.”
- “Life is counted in years and measured in terms of deeds.”
- “Men are as old as they feel. Women as young as they look.”
- “Become what you are not yet, remain what you are now; in this remaining and becoming everything beautiful lies here on earth.”
- “I am happy for you! Not because you’re getting older, but because you make me look young!”
- “Whoever the gods love, they let them grow young.”
- “You already know in your youth that everything passes, but you only learn how quickly everything passes when you are old.”
100 birthday wishes to dedicate on a card
Today is a very special day; from a distance, receive my best wishes so that you have a beautiful day full of joys and surprises. Happy Birthday.
- You don’t get older; you get better. Congratulations.
- I hope that today is as special as you. Happy Birthday.
- You are the greatest thing in my life, Mom, and that is why now I want to send you this birthday greeting with something very special, all my heart. I love you, mom.
- Happy birthday; dreams are not just dreams that are a reflection of the near future. Let the distances imposed by the closeness for this love and this friendship.
- So many candles. So a little cake? Happy Birthday. I love you.
- Dear princess, happy birthday. I wish you all the happiness possible
- and that you share it by my side. I hope that each year that passes, our love is reinforced.
- Today is a very special day, I miss you, and I would love to be with you if only to help you blow out the candles. Happy Birthday.
- Do not even think that today I would miss a sincere and complete congratulation from me on such an important day as today. Happy Birthday.
- Congratulations mom; having your support is what has always mattered the most to me, and I feel very lucky to have had it. I love you, mom.
- Many say that life is easier if we have a true friend close by, one of those who will never disappoint you, and that is what I have with you; you are one of the people who have supported me the most in my life and never have. I will forget. Happy Birthday, friend.
- There is no gift that can exceed my eternal debt to you, even if you lived a thousand years. Happy Birthday.
- To grow older is to understand that, despite closing cycles, there are many to open. Happy Birthday.
- You are a clear example of friendship; thank you for being one of those unconditional friends, the kind that even in the worst-case scenario can make you smile. I wish you a happy birthday.
- May this day be beautiful and full of joy. I am happy to see how much you have grown, physically and spiritually. So, keep being an excellent person, Happy Birthday. Don’t forget that I love you very much.
- Today, you only deserve to smile and be happy, and I want to be part of everything that makes you feel good, so don’t worry about anything. Just focus on having a nice time. Happy Birthday.
- May these moments be unique, but may many more like them come during your next year. Congratulations.
- I want you to have a very happy birthday and always to be happy.
- Don’t let the years weigh you down; true vitality is inside. Keep going! Happy Birthday.
- Your beautiful face shines more than the candles on the delicious cake that you make us every year. Happy Birthday.
- And your special day has arrived! Congratulations.
- For having the ability to surprise me, to cheer me up, to make me laugh, to make me smile when I’m sad, and for many other things, I love you. Happy Birthday.
- There is no better gift from God than life itself; that is why I celebrate today with great faith and hope that allows you to celebrate your birthday full of health and happiness. Happy Birthday.
- Words cannot express all the happiness that we wish you on this wonderful day. Happy Birthday.
- Every year that I spend with you knows me only a few minutes away; I would like to live forever, breathe your air, and feel your pulse and your heart a thousand centuries more. Happy Birthday.
- Each moment with you well lived makes each yesterday a dream of happiness and each morning an adventure. I would like to be with you every tenth of a second. Happy Birthday.
- Age is simply the number of years the world has been enjoying you. Happy Birthday.
- The most beautiful of all roses begin to bloom, its petals full of life, full of love. They are the symbol of a beautiful woman whose birthday is today. Happy Birthday.
- Being away from home is made much more difficult by the simple fact of not being able to see you every day. I really miss our time in the kitchen, Mom, and I can’t wait to see you. I hope that at least this congratulation makes you closer to me today. Happy Birthday, Mom.
- On this special day for you, I want you to know that there is someone who, from a distance, joins your breath of hope with the illusion that the new year that you are beginning to live will fill you with happiness. Happy Birthday.
- I want to congratulate my love for your great support and affection. May you celebrate a thousand more years
- Sharing your life with me.
- 41. Every year that passes, the more you seduce me, each year you meet, the more you attract me. You are as eternal as your smile and your will to live. Happy Birthday.
- Today, a world of immense emotions opens up when you reach your fifteen springs. Radiant with joy and simplicity. Happy Birthday.
- I wish you all the fun and excitement that only birthdays can bring. Congratulations.
- Today, we celebrate that you are one year older, but don’t worry, you are much better. Happy Birthday.
- On your birthday, I want to remember your special moments, moments full of joy, and above all, to celebrate one more year of life.
- I hope we are friends forever, never forget our experiences. I love you, and I wish you a happy birthday.
- All your birthdays, we do something special and this day will not be the exception, because people like you deserve the best wishes and the most beautiful gifts.
- This wish is more for me than for your son, to be able to hug, kiss, and say happy birthday.
- Today, a long-awaited date will be the day when you receive beautiful gifts and the best of all, the infinite possibilities of a happy life. Congratulations.
- It is never too late to be what you could have been.
- Today is a very happy day for me since it is my great confidant’s birthday, my favorite cousin. Congratulations.
- How beautiful it is to share such special moments with a friend like you! Happy Birthday.
- Some people, no matter how old they are, never lose their beauty. They just move it from their faces to their hearts.
- I didn’t forget your birthday. I just remembered a little late. Happy Birthday.
- Every time I stop to think about our childhood, your memory comes to mind. You have been my partner during all this time, and I hope you continue to be so in the future. Congratulations.
- A today well spent with you makes each yesterday a happy memory and a new hope each morning. Happy Birthday, friend.
- With joy and laughter, let the old wrinkles appear.
- Our birthdays are feathers on the wide wing of time.
- Today, on this birthday, I want you always to remember that you will have your sister to support you at all times and in all circumstances. I love you.
- You know you are getting old when candles cost more than cake.
- This year that passed in your life, although difficult, taught you many things, and I know that all your dreams will soon come true. You just need to wait for a little. A happy birthday to you.
- I wish with all my soul that you meet all your goals in this new year ahead and reach all your goals. You are a unique and very special woman, and we all know it. Congratulations, I adore you.
- Happy birthday to the beautiful boy of my dreams! We are going to celebrate this very special day of your life and celebrate tonight until dawn.
- Don’t just count your years. Make your years count.
- Happy birthday, son. May you always feel the happiness and satisfaction of a good reason to live fully.
- I have never met a person as good and kind as you are, maybe that is why I am so in love with you. Congratulations, my girl.
- This will be a special year, your wishes will be fulfilled, and I will be there to applaud you. I love u Congratulations, my friend.
- Life is enjoyed in every breath so that every little moment counts. Happy Birthday.
- I need to be happy—a sweet kiss for your birthday, my dear love.
- I wish you all the fun and excitement that only birthdays can bring.
- On your birthday, like everyone else, I wish that God’s blessings would cover you with a strong, warm light of goodness.
- I hope that today, at your party, you dance and sing to celebrate your best birthday with joy.
- Forget how long you’ve lived. Look at how much you have accomplished and how much life lies ahead. Happy Birthday.
- Happy Birthday! I hope you like the chocolate cake, and I bought it with both of us in mind.
- Today, I woke up with the necessary determination. Yes, the determination necessary to show you how much I love you. Congratulations, my love.
- Congratulations, soul sister, dear sister, may your birthday be as beautiful as those beautiful feelings that are in your heart.
- Success is reaching an important birthday and discovering that you are still exactly the same person. – Audrey Hepburn
- Thank you, mommy, for giving us so much and forgiving yourself, body, and soul to your family. Congratulations.
- I love you, my heart, happy birthday. May this love grow so that there will be many more years than we celebrate this date together.
- No one gets old simply by living a number of years. We grow old by abandoning our ideals. Years can wrinkle the skin, but abandoning enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.
- Without your kisses and your caresses, life would turn gray. With you, everything lights up. By your side, I feel happy. Thank you, my love. Congratulations.
- I have had the joy of growing up with the best playmate and, over the years, enjoy the best ally in life: my greatest wish, your happiness, brother.
Birthday Card for the Milestone Birthday
Every birthday is something special for children: this is the day in life when everything revolves around them. There are presents, all of which are particularly nice to you and the sweets are not looked at too closely. In the course of adult life, the birthday loses its importance for some; especially the round birthdays are given more attention. But these become all the more important and become milestones in life – of course, and there should be no lack of congratulations and birthday cards. Depending on the relationship, it may also be a small but humorous reference to age. Here are some examples of congratulations on milestone birthdays:
- “To be 70 years young is sometimes more cheerful and hopeful than being 40 years old.” (Oliver Wendell Holmes)
- “I wish you all the best for your 40th birthday – for the next 40 years!”
- “No matter what number – you are simply brilliant! Congratulations on your 40th birthday! “
- “It’s unbelievable how time flies: yesterday we were working together for the Abi exams, today we’re already celebrating your 50th birthday – all the best!”
- “Names are like smoke and mirrors. Numbers too, by the way! Happy 50th birthday! “
- “Every day can bring new opportunities, new possibilities, new surprises, and new challenges! So look lively into your 50s and let yourself be surprised what may come next! Very dearest congratulations on the 50th birthday! “
- “The decade doesn’t matter as long as you stay who you are. Congratulations on your 60th birthday. “
- “Many good things only become really valuable as they mature. I wish you a wonderful 60th birthday! “
- “Long live everything we love! Even if we haven’t stayed very young, the heart has retained its sound for many years. We want to keep it that way and never count ourselves among the “old.” We want what you have to want. Health, joy, and at the end of the heart, quiet serenity that keeps you young for all time! Happy 60th birthday! “
- “Man, yesterday we were still playing in the sandpit, today you will be 50 – happy birthday, old house!”
- “As you get older, three things happen: your memory fades… and… I’ve forgotten the others. Happy Birthday!”
- “You have now reached metal age: gold in your teeth, silver in your hair, and lead in your feet – congratulations!”
- “Don’t look back and forth; enjoy every moment! Happy 60th birthday! “
- “When you told me three years ago that you would like to reorient yourself professionally and start from scratch, I initially had concerns as to whether you would be able to do it. And now look at yourself: 40 years old, two completely different life paths, but both reflect your diverse facets. It’s great how you did it – for your health!”
What to Write in a Birthday Card for a Children
- Sun in your heart and friends for life – this should give you next year!
- Enjoy every day as if it were a small miracle.
- Happy Birthday to you!
- You will get a year older!
- Few words, big cake:
- Happy Birthday to You!
- We wish you luck and a carefree laugh from the bottom of our hearts. The new year of your life should always bring you a lot of joy. Birthday Happy!
- A long life blossom towards you, laughing happiness comes to you. Joy be with you on all paths, bright spring, and sunshine.
- We wish you sunshine for your birthday. Should every day of your childhood be special.
- Today the little caterpillar is aging again a year. It won’t be long before it’ll be a pretty month.
What to Write in a Birthday Card for a Youth Opr 18th Birthday
- Statistics prove: Those who have more birthdays live longer. That’s great, isn’t it? Happy birthday – may you stay with us for a long time to come.
- My condolences on “getting older“.
- Good luck on your 18th birthday! You will need it because from now on you are responsible for your own stupidities.
- 18, that means the luck of being able to become independent and the bad luck of having to become independent.
- Finally 18 – now all you have to do is grow up! Happy coming of age!
What to Write in a Birthday Card for a 30+
- Oh fright, oh fright, the two is gone! But don’t be sad, you’ll see: It’s only really beautiful at 30.
- If you calculate 2 + 9, does 3 + 0 have to be less? So look forward to the new number, you have no other choice!
- You are not 40! You are 18 with 22 years of experience!
- Even if a lot of jokes revolve around gray hair and wrinkles on your birthday, at 30 you are not yet a thing of the past.
- You’re 50 today, old boy, the paint is losing its first color. But don’t panic, remember: Antique is going to be great!
- I am totally surprised that you are already 50 years old. You look a lot younger, I think – a maximum of 49 1/2. Happy Birthday!
What to Write in a Birthday Card for a 65+
- Age is just an illusion – 65 years old, what’s that? Age is not in numbers. It’s in the head and in the joy of life. So we wish on a special day – stay the way you are, then you will definitely not age!
- 65 Burning candles, you can call them your own today. In the future, there should be so many candles that the guests can no longer see the cake.
- You stayed young at heart, despite your age 10 * 7.
- You are only 70 in Fahrenheit, in Celsius you are only 21.
- At 80 you are a valuable classic car. Rich in kilometers, slight signs of use but still in good shape.
- Happy birthday 80 times, the clock is ticking forward, not back! Only good things should bring time forward: health, joy, serenity
Honor the Birthday Child With Closing Words
After the salutation, congratulatory words, and saying, only one thing is missing on the card: the end. Here are a few ways this can come about:
- Continue to be such a warm and loving person
- Keep giving us so much joy
- Stay the way you are – because that’s how you are perfect!
- I wish you many more repetitions of your personal holiday
- I wish you many more successful years
- High shalt thou live!
All Birthdays at a Glance
Family members, friends, work colleagues: With a large group of friends, it’s easy to lose track of birthdays. Fortunately, there are numerous ways to prevent this. For example, a classic annual birthday calendar can be used for the refrigerator, on which all the special days are clearly displayed.
In an increasingly digitized age, the mobile phone also provides a remedy: Digital birthday calendars with notification function remind you in good time when the cradle celebrations of your loved ones are just around the corner.
What to Do if a Birthday Is Forgotten?
Despite the reminders – whether as a calendar on the fridge or as push notifications on the mobile phone – it can of course happen that a birthday is forgotten. But even if 366 days or more have passed since the last birthday card: don’t despair! With a bit of humor, you can make up for belated birthday wishes. Here you will find the right inspiration for a saying:
- I’ve saved my congratulations for the time after your birthday so you can celebrate longer! Afterward all the best!
- I’m sure you didn’t expect a punctual birthday greeting from me – and you know how I hate to disappoint you.
- How am I supposed to remember your birthday if you never look older? All the best from the bottom of my heart!
- Beautiful things in life always pass so quickly – just like your birthday. Belated all the best!
- Today a lot of people have their birthday – unfortunately you are not one of them. Best regards afterward!
- A wish comes flying,
twisted by the detour.
A little late – he’s there anyway.
We don’t forget you, that’s for sure!
Belated all the best!
- I honestly haven’t forgotten your birthday. I just wanted to wait until you were sober after the party so that you really get my wishes! Congratulations and all the best!
What Time Is Too Late
One thing is very clear: a belated birthday greeting is also nice and shows your appreciation for the person who had their birthday. At the same time, he can enjoy being celebrated a little longer. Nevertheless, the following applies: late congratulations that are seriously meant should be limited to the first few days after the birth. Closer acquaintances can also be congratulated a little later – but conveying the greeting with a pinch of humor is particularly important here. If the card was written on time but was forgotten to send it, it can, of course, also be delivered personally if necessary. It is also a wonderful opportunity to maintain personal contact.
Sending Congratulations – by Letter or by Sms?
Now you have everything you need to find the right words for the birthday child. But where do you write them down now? Nowadays, the variety of possibilities is almost unlimited: From the pre-purchased card with a congratulatory message to the photo card you create yourself, everything is possible. There are also countless digital versions. But watch out: a handwritten card is still well received and proves appreciation – even if only because you paid the postage.
The Right Card Motif
If you have a knack for design techniques, it makes sense to make the card yourself. But don’t worry if your artistic abilities are limited: there is a large selection of beautiful, high-quality birthday cards in stores. We have compiled a few copies from our online shop for you – from the greeting card with a monkey motif to the blank card with a bouquet of flowers.
The Essentials in Brief
- Adapt the salutation of the card to your relationship with the birthday boy or girl.
- When saying congratulations, refer to the interests and character of the birthday person.
- Sayings, excerpts from song texts, or references to historical events are wonderfully suitable for filling empty spaces on the card.
- In the closing words, express your solidarity with the person celebrating the anniversary.
- With a funny saying, belated congratulations can also turn into success – but not as long after the cradle celebration.
- With a handwritten card, you show the birthday child a special degree of appreciation.
- If you mention the recipient’s age, it is best to do so in a humorous way.
Bonus tip: Document birthday wishes and gifts so that you don’t give or write the same thing twice.
The Most Important Questions About Birthday Cards
Finally, we have answered a few more questions that are asked particularly frequently about birthday cards. So you are fully informed, can choose a suitable design and a fitting text and write the next birthday card:
A Classic or Digital Birthday Card?
Today almost everything happens online and digitally. So the idea is to send the birthday card this way and to transmit it as an e-mail, via WhatsApp message, or on social networks.
Simply congratulate from anywhere, hit the keys a few times, and the appropriate smileys, emojis, and pictures can be designed with a greeting for the digital birthday card.
But should a birthday card really be digital, or should it be handed over in paper form? There is no clear answer. First and foremost, a birthday card is about the gesture itself. It is important that you think of the other person and show them that you have not forgotten their birthday.
Which form the birthday card ultimately takes is therefore of secondary importance. It is entirely possible to send a digital card for a birthday. However, you should consider the relationship with the person you are about to congratulate. Many perceive electronic birthday cards as more impersonal than the solid paper version.
If you are dealing with a very important person or you want to make the extra effort, the classic variant is recommended. At the same time, even with a birthday greeting as a message, you don’t go wrong and don’t have to feel guilty.
Which Birthday Cards Are Suitable for the Job?
There’s no arguing about taste, and when it comes to birthday cards, there are countless different designs, motifs, and birthday wishes. Some are quite neutral and mostly focused on the message Happy Birthday. Others rely more on humor and an allusion to the increased age than a small swipe at the birthday child.
While in the family and in the circle of friends, basically everything that pleases is allowed, you should be a little more careful when you write and select birthday cards. A half-naked and wrinkled figure with the words congratulations, you old man may make good friends smile – but not every boss can laugh about it.
Also, not every colleague automatically shares your kind of humor. Therefore, you should only use such unusual birthday cards if you know the birthday card recipient really well, know that he understands the fun and that there is an overall good relationship.
How Detailed Should the Birthday Card Be?
The birthday card has been purchased, or the text field for the digital message is open. And then? Just a short Happy Birthday or all the best, and your own name doesn’t have enough effect. But you don’t want to write a novel either. The question of how long and detailed a birthday card should be is overrated when writing.
Whether it’s a short greeting, a ready-made slogan, or a longer personal message – as long as it is serious and comes from the heart, the length of a birthday card hardly matters. When in doubt, think about your own reaction on your birthday. Have you ever thought the text is pretty short, or a little less would have been enough? Probably not. It simply outweighs the joy. The problem of how detailed the birthday card should be, therefore only exists in your head.
Birthday greetings by card, WhatsApp, email, or social media?
Birthday wishes via WhatsApp …?
Depending on your age group and personal relationship, you can decide which medium you would like to use to send your birthday wishes. It is better for the older generation to bring a card with you when visiting the birthday or to send one. If the personal relationship is not so close, it can also be a WhatsApp message.
Emails can get busy, and many people don’t check their mailboxes regularly. For this reason, you should avoid emailing unless you know that the person is really online every day. You will certainly make people with whom you are particularly familiar a call a pleasure. You can also congratulate more fleeting acquaintances via social media.
A card offers most of the design options to personalize your birthday wishes. You can make them completely yourself or draw festive motifs on a card you have bought. Stickers or photos on the card are also a nice eye-catcher. With WhatsApp or social media, you should definitely use emoticons so that your message does not lose its birthday mood despite digital transmission.
These smileys are suitable: All happy faces, balloons, gifts, confetti, cakes, cakes with candles, hearts, stars, shamrocks, champagne, beer, wine, and everything that you personally associate with the birthday child.
Happy Birthday Wishes for Birthday Card
What can you actually wish for the birthday child? The beautiful birthday wishes for the new year actually look similar every year. Health, happiness, love, the best, the most beautiful, lots of gifts, a great day, a nice celebration, and so on. But how can you come up with individual wishes that are not on every card?
First of all, don’t let all the good wishes anticipate you by buying a card whose cover already lists countless birthday wishes. Then think about what you really wish for the birthday person. Maybe everything didn’t go quite smoothly in the old year, or a difficult decision is imminent.
Perhaps the course has been discontinued, and you would like to provide support with your card. Or a strenuous phase of the job search is imminent, and you wish a lot of strength for it. Point out your mutual connection, show appreciation and offer your help.